Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Milk-Eyed Mender

Have you ever heard a song that was so good that it was all you listened to? Where every note played enthralled you to no end?

I have a song right now that is like that for me. It goes by the name Sawdust and Diamonds, and was written and composed by a woman named Joanna Newsom.

If you already have heard of her you have probably already formed an opinion as to whether or not you like her music. Personally, the first time I heard her I laughed because I thought it sounded ridiculous. With further listening, though, it was like the hard outer shell of the coconut was shed away and I had access to the sweet milk within.

People have described her music as folk, yet while she admits that it is folk informed, her and other people who understand how folk music is classified realize she doesn't actually play folk. So then they started giving it names like "neo-folk" or "new folk movement". Also her voice is the same, when people first hear it they might be turned away as I was at first, but those who have managed to give it a second chance describe it as childlike, or even like an old woman.

I don't think she sounds like either. I think that people are so ready to try and classify what she does that they try to compare it with what they already know. To put a label on it so they can understand it. The only problem is that she isn't quite any of the classifications or descriptions they have put to her. And so they find themselves struggling to explain just what it is she does. When what they really should be doing, is realizing that she can't be classified. She has found a style and sound all her own and it is unlike anything people have heard before, and as such can't properly be compared to anything. The only way to understand her sound is to hear it.

So any of you that are still reading and interested, I am going to provide you with the song 'Sawdust and Diamonds'. It was recorded live in Paris and isn't on any of her albums, and so is completely legal to download. Before you listen to this song realize that her voice might come off to you as odd, or unpleasant, but like the coconut, if you give it a chance you will find some wonderful music here. Also, I forgot to mention, she plays the harp. Forget all you conceptions about what you think a harp should sound like because it doesn't sound like that in her hands.


Sawdust and Diamonds, by Joanna Newsom


If you haven't stopped to listen to the song, do so now. If you have continue reading.

This song that I have just shared with you is an amazing work of art. I mean just look at a sample of the lyrics you just heard.

"there's a light in the wings
hits this system of strings
from the side while they swing;
see the wires, the wires, the wires

and the articulation
in our elbows and knees
makes us buckle and we couple in endless increase
as the audience admires

and the little white dove
made with love, made with love
made with glue and a glove and some pliers

swings a low sickle arc
from its perch in the dark
settle down
settle down my desire

and the moment i slept
i was swept up in a terrible tremor
though no longer bereft, how i shook
and i couldn't remember
and then the furthermost shake
drove a murdering stake in
and cleft me right down through my center
and i shouldn't say so
but i know that it was then or never"


It's not only that, she manages to change timings in her playing that would be difficult for even the most skilled of musicians. On top of that she plays both the rhythm and the lead on that same instrument. One on one hand, one on the other.

This isn't the only song that manages this either. She has many other wonderful works.

If you liked Sawdust and Diamonds, then I suggest you go here.

Go to the downloads section and check out some of her other unrecorded live works. Also, find her album in a store somewhere, which is entitled "The Milk Eyed Mender".

I had the happy experience of seeing her live at the Wexner Center for the Arts here in Columbus. It was one of the best shows I have ever been to.

If you didn't like it, I would suggest you give it a second chance, because you might just find the sweet center of the coconut.

12 comments:

Smapdi said...

She has been described as Bjork trapesing through the appalachian countryside.

Odd, I don't know why it wouldnt work for you. Works fine for me.

oyster said...

Very interesting, and engrossing. I love the harp, and may have to get this album. That's an impressive, original sound (plus a lot of poetry) all coming from one person.

Yes, thank you for sharing.

Her Henna said...

That's a very beautiful song. And that's a freakin' huge harp. Her and Devandra Barhart are good friends. Another "neo-folk" person. They definitely defy that classification.

Lizzy Pratt said...

k. so i listened to it twice. i enjoyed it the first time, but wanted to be sure i got that crack-open-coconut action. i did.

though i much enjoy music, Musical Criticism often tends to go over my head. and when it doesn't i get a little cross-eyed. so classifications have never held much appeal anyway.

i would say her sound is new in the sense that it is eclectic and uninterested in the established musical formulas (which have their place mind you, but it's nice when people venture away from them). nevertheless there is something very familiar about it. which is perhaps to say that i find it accessible.

her voice is not the voice of a singer, but that's really not its intention anyway. in that way she could be grouped with bjork; she is more of a poet than anything else. using her voice as an audible pen to tell the story.

it's refreshing to hear music like this, music that speaks to nowness but also transcends trends. music that truly paints a picture in the mind.

so yeah, i liked it. thanks for sharing with the class. :)

Smapdi said...

Jess-
I have a PC, but i avoid looking stupid when i have a problem because i can say "I know how to fix it." hehe.

elizabeth-
Glad you enjoyed it, most of the time i show her music to someone they don't like it at all. And i can't talk them into giving it a second chance.

Though, I don't agree that bjork doesnt have the voice of a singer.... she can hold a note better then most, she just holds it with an accent. :)

Dante the Inferno said...

Hola Peter. I dunno you at all really, but I love music, and I love finding people that can always broaden my horizons, and you seem like one of those :) I'm linking to you.

I've heard by Newsom the song Peach Plum Pear, and I love it. There is an old singer named Melanie Safka (you may or may not have heard of) that I find her very similar to in that song.

I shall listen to this one (THANKS! btw) when it's not late at night and I wont wake anyone :(

Look forward to keeping up. Cya.

Dante the Inferno said...

(Listened to it. High five. It's excellent.)

Lizzy Pratt said...

point taken. bjork can hold a note. it would seem newsome can as well. they just don't belt-it-out sing the way one often thinks of when thinking of a "singer".

Smapdi said...

Listen to "Play Dead" off of Debut.
"Joga" off of homogenic.
"Hyper Ballad" and "It's oh so Quiet" off of Post.
The entire Medulla album.

She belts it out on those songs so well that at one point a friend of mine who I had introduced to here music turned to me and said "I don't think she can actually sing like that live. I think it's the studio effects." He then came across a live dvd and quickly retracted his statement.

Lizzy Pratt said...

i have all those. believe me, i am a fan!
i think i didn't convey meaning correctly...

Smapdi said...

No, I understand. And Bjork is more of a poet than she is a singer, but in my opinion that is just because she is such an amazing poet.

I just have always thought she had a better singing voice then most singers. I mean I have heard her belt out a line with better control and power than alot of famous singers. I think the accent just makes alot of purists think she cannot sing.

*sigh* there isn't enough music lovers around where i live that i could ever have a conversation like this in person. Oh well...

abz said...

the harp was fantastic. the voice takes some getting used to. but i'm like that, a lot of my fav singers/bands now i hated when i first heard them, then somehow i listened to em again and fell in love with their music. thanx for sharing.