Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"Like Bees That Were Molested...."



Anyone recognize the lyric from the title?

It is from kingdom Melodies #125 "Jehovah is on my side."

We didn't sing that song tonight, but we did sing #82 "The Women are a large Army."

I know I going to sound very bad here, but I think this song was written in the 1820's due to the fact that is used the two phrases "men-folk" and "Old-Timers".

It was all I could do not to bust out into laughter, the resulting chuckling kept me from singing properly throughout most of the song.

The whole idea of a song about how great women are, which they are. That and, correct me if I am wrong, but it was written by a man, and using those phrases produced a very humorous feeling in me.

Concerning the lyric from the title of this post, it also has the same affect on me. Not because of what it says, but because every single person in my hall when they get to that lyric quiets way down because they are embarrassed to sing those words. Not I, mind you, I belt them out without hesitation. That is until I hear everyone quiet down in embarrasment and laughter interrupts my singing of praises.


Anyways, Share the phrases or experiences which have made you laugh while trying to hold a note on a kingdom song.... i would really like to hear them.

9 comments:

abz said...

ok i have two for u. both taking place at different convetions. the first one was my friend luke was singing and the word was theocratic but it was written like the-ocratic. so we get to it and he goes THE....ocratic... haha it was hilarious. second one, my friend amanda. we were singing song 15 and there r the lines "troubles r gone" and "food will be there" well she messed it up and sang food will be gone, to this day i have it written like that in my songbook...which is somewhere in fl. good times

Her Henna said...

I can remember going to John's meeting, and being young and stupid switching from bass to falsetto midsong, just to make him laugh.

Good times.

Johnathan Foster said...

and i always did

Lizzy Pratt said...

you may have read this already.

i was merrily singing along with bebe relish and jei last night when i reached the part about rising early to care for the home...my eyes got wide and i looked at them and pointed at the lyric, and we three began a most unladylike fit of laughing, which was only exascerbated by the menfolk lyric. tears of hilarity, they did roll.

i swear, i wasn't being disrespectful, it's just that...i think some of us must have skipped that day of large army boot camp. *raises hand*

and as for the title lyric, well.

Johnathan Foster said...

And another thing:

Last night a friend of mine wandered over during this song and asked me if i remembered the lyrics i had so childishly created in place of the current lyrics for this "avant-garde" composition many moons ago.

Suddenly a light appeared: 'Yes, yes i do'. It had been 8 years but my mind presented me with the suppressed words.

"The women they are a large army,
they eat bake beans from a tin can,
they wear army boots in the mud,
and drink slushies everyday.

Their weapons are not automatics,
but tracks and the bible they use...." (never finished)

Surely i jest

Dante the Inferno said...

One of the songs about children. Not the lyrics, but the music that makes me laugh. It's right at the line that goes "They are gifts from god. He says use the rod." same line as "Do not them berate. Just communicate." which is actualy a lyric goofy enough to make it even funnier... The music there though, and the way you have to sing it, I dunno, it just sounds like some kind of chant uttered by a brainwashed hoard. Put yer arms out like a zombie and sing it. Then I think you'll get what I mean :p

There's another one with music that cracks me up because for about a verse and a half it sounds exactly like the underwater levels in Super Mario World (which I played vehemently as a youngster...)
The line is "It is so refreshing, it is like the dew."

Mostly I think these verses that just sound akward are a result of songs that were written originaly in other languages which have been translated as best as possible to english.
That idea took forever to occur to me, and didn't sink in untill I put my mind to the thought that the spanish sing their songs to the same tunes as ours.

You did, however, take the best one there with "Like bees that were molested." That's just golden :)

Smapdi said...

No, you shouldn't have!

Sharing is good, especially with something as funny as that.....

We won't judge you here..... too harshly.

Ste said...

The forced rhymes were hilarious:

"In a land so good and spacious
Free from strife and things vexacious
Look a happy crowd vivacious
In God's service that is efficacious"

Ste said...

The need to rhyme often lead to laugh out loud moments in my 12 year old mind:

"Having no hope,
Blindly they GROPE,
As this system nears its end".

(HIGH PITCHED VOICE)

"Butthebible gives us a reason for cheer
Due to all the proof that the Kingdom is near
From the eyes of men God will wipe every tear,
Raise yourselves ERECT you have nothing to fear".