Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Growing Up.


I have never considered Myself as An Adult.
I do consider myself responsible, and more mature than a lot of my peers, especially people of similar age who are in the world.
But I saw a news story on the Today Show, recently that talked about a theory that the technology of today's world, which connects us to the rest of the world more than ever, might actually be slowing down the maturing of this generation.

I Find it kind of Ironic that the ability to reach anyone anywhere would actually slow down how fast we grow up. Yet I agree whole heartedly with this theory.

I have always thought that I had more difficulty growing up than the previous generation. Because my childhood involved vegging in front of the TV/Computer/Videogames, instead of learning to do work around the house, take care of the family, and provide for myself and others.



It seems to only make sense that technology is the cause of this. My parents had no TV when they were little. They had no cel-phones, or Internet, or any of the myriad of distractions we have now.

I remember once my dad telling me about how him and his brother used to Listen to "The Shadow" on the radio. One night their parents went out and left them at home, and told them not to listen to it, because they always got worked up and afraid when they listened to it, and my grandparents didn't want them doing something they wouldn't do with mom and dad around.

Somehow they set the couch on fire in their panic to protect themselves from that weeks villain.....


Yet even though they got so immensely absorbed in this radio show as a child, they only had one thing to be absorbed in. Growing Up I couldn't choose what to be absorbed in because there were too many options. And sometimes responsibility was one of the options I didn't choose.

That being said, when I finally Realized, years ago, that what my mother had being trying to teach me about the bible all my life was true; I finally started to learn what it means to grow up.

Only because of Jehovah's guidance to stay away from the distractions of this world did I ever learn what it means to be a man, instead of a boy..

Sometimes though I feel like I am behind. I see some of my friends who are just as young as I physically, going to international conventions in Poland, Giving Public Talks, Going up the 'Congregational Ladder' so fast that they will likely be elders before they get back from Poland....

All hyperbole aside, though, I realize I have only had coming up on 5 years of Baptized Service under my belt, while they have many many more. Even so I have the Urge to be right there beside them, and it stinks to not yet have the ability to be so.

Sometimes It makes me want to defenestrate my computer.

Stupid Technology, giving us more ability than ever in history, yet limiting us from what is important.

(Defenestrate is my Favorite Word Ever, By The Way.)

Also, It seems odd that a lot of people on here have started Calling me "Dusty".
Not that I have a problem with it, but My whole life, the only people who called me Dusty are people who have known me since I was little. My mother even tells me that she when she named me, she thought "We can call him Dusty when he is Little, and Dustin when he grows up."
So to have people I have never met outside the internet call me Dusty just seems odd...

But continue to call me whatever you want, because deep down I really don't care. :)

16 comments:

SillyAlicat said...

I agree with Rubster, the first picture is fantastic.

I completely agree. People use the internet and other technologies as a crutch. People form deep relationships, break deep relationships, have fights, and a variety of other things I wont go into all through a 17 inch monitor.

A friend of mine just told me she doesn't have a cell phone and rather than be appauled, I praised her. I think it's commendable for people to realize the lack of importance that is owed to technology. Although we all obviously aren't there yet, its commendable that we realize the internet is just a means of communication, and not THE means. Am I right, DustIN.

I'm in a babbling sort of mood. I could write a 500 word essay in agreement with this if you like.

Lissy said...

since we are bringing up the photos, the last one is my personal favorite. i actually have it hanging in my room...although i didnt discover it.

on to other topics, technology has never been my forte, it seems that i failed my sixth grade tech class...hehe, i hated mr. volgalsang. but anyway, in terms of difficulty growing in various areas of life, i find that there isnt much of a pattern at all.

i was baptized at the age of 8, however i have yet to be a regular pioneer. i know of people who have gotten baptized at 18 and who have started pioneering a.s.a.p.

its not at all that i dont want to be a regular pioneer, however life avenues leads us all over the place.

maybe one day, in the near future, we can all accomplish our spiritual goals. but obviously never finish, but continue to have them...goals.

p.s. i think its nice to have a nick name, esp one that was started from childhood, because it shows that people feel comfortable with you.

Lizzy Pratt said...

the right time is the right time. thats why jahs patience with us is so lovely. he knows when the right time is, even when we may not.

and my favorite cousin is named dustin/dusty/milkdud...so i have an affinity for the name.

Smapdi said...

Hmm, I Think Lissy just about his 500 words. :P

So instead of that, Write me a 500 word Essay on why Monkeys fling their own poo... GO! hehe

Does Dusty really count as a nickname though? It's just the short form of my name... They mean almost the same thing too. Dustin means "Warrior" and Dusty means "Valiant Fighter." Dusty also means "Full of Dust" but I prefer the first meaning. :P

SillyAlicat said...

Why do monkeys fling their own poo?

An essay by Alison Santiago

Monkeys are jungle dwelling creatures who spend their days eating bananas and grooming each other. They are family oriented and reside in trees. They have a keen eye for insects and other tasty treats as well as a keen sense of smell to warn them of predators.

Scientists have claimed that the monkey's intellect is quite similar to our own. The only discredit to this intellectual simularity is the fact that these jungle dwelling friends use their feces or as laymen may call it, "poo" as projectile instruemnts of attack upon their enemies.

The less domesticated man has used similar tactics to scare away predators or form a perimeter. Scientists and other experts have concluded that the throwing of this fecal matter creates a sense of dominance as well as security.

This makes particular sense because most species of monkeys and apes lack the physical attributes necessary to ward off predators. Though many who have come across this defense mechanism would object, these 'poo' flinging creatures are most effective in warding off predators.

Her Henna said...

That was rather brilliant.

Smapdi said...

HOLY CRAP! I can't believe you actually did it!

WONDERFUL!

Smapdi said...

Though, I only Count 172 words! 177 if you count the title!

Still, "brilliant".

SillyAlicat said...

I have a odd talent of being able to make anything up and put it into essay form. I got through high school English without ever cracking a book. I was hoping it was at least 200. "Poo!"

I take it as a great compliment from such great minds.

SillyAlicat said...

...don't you mean 179?

(sometimes I believe the word verification box is testing our intellect)

abz said...

sounds good to me. if a monkey or anything for that matter was flingin poo at me i'd stay clear

Lissy said...

well dusty i was going to proceed with a wonderfully brilliant essay on why those darn monkeys throw poor /i dont know how you know that the subject is one of my specialties/, however i will proceed with this instead...

eh um...

what they said!

:-p

Smapdi said...

It's nice to have so many readers who are experts in the frield of Pooicology.

Smapdi said...

That sounds too official. Made up words are more fitting.

SillyAlicat said...

Poorific.

Dante the Inferno said...

Lila makes a fantastic argument, yet, one must ask - What about the chimps themselves? Are they not humiliated by the contact they have with their own poo in this process? Or are chimps simply beyond such vain social taboos?

Questions to ponder.