Thursday, June 22, 2006

CD Project: Update Two

First up a Couple Reminders:


My Email:
musicconnoisseur@gmail.com
The Current Selection of Songs:
Link.
Instructions, In case anyone else decides to jump in before the 1st of July:
Link.


Now that that is out of the way I have a couple of names for the project that I want to ask all of your opinions on.

1. "Guiness Is Irish For Awesome." I found it a funny and true phrase, and Giles suggested that I used it as a name. I was wary how well it might go over seeing as how random it is, but I figured I would pass it by all of you anyways.

2. "Pansonicon" I heard the word 'Panopticon' in a Joanna Newsom song and wondered what it was. So I looked it up and basically it is a circular prison design where someone on guard duty can sit in a tower in the center and is able to see every prisoner's cell simultaneously. It just hit me that a 'sound' version of this word would work well because we can, in a sense, hear everyone else's "cell". Ok it might be a bit contrived, but I liked it.

If you don't like either that is cool too, I will just go back to the drawing board.

Everything that has been picked so far for the CD has fit the theme very well, and a lot of it is new to me, and very enjoyable. I am especially enjoying the band "Bellafea". (thanks Lila.) Yet, while every track fits well, altogether the album is an entirely different beast. I think you will understand when you hear it.

When you all look at the page with the list that has everything that has been picked so far, keep in mind that I downloaded some music editing software, and this CD is going to have a Hidden track! I won't say what it is so it will remain a surprise, but it's pure genius. Such genius in fact that I couldn't even begin to try and place it normally within the playlist. So, it had to be a hidden bonus. It was picked by Tom's 11 year old brother, and I think you will love it.

I must say I have been having entirely too much fun playing "DJ". I have come up with many themes, and the next 4 themes are all related in a storytelling way. The first theme will involve an action and the 3 subsequent themes will happen in chronological order as a kind of telling of what happens next.

Can you tell I have put way to much thought into this?

Well, since I have been enjoying this so much, I temporarily entertained the idea of making these bi-weekly, but then thought the cost of CDs and shipping would get high, and you all would be bombarded with entirely too many CDs. So I dismissed that idea, except for this first time.

I don't want to have to wait a month and a half (august 1st) to announce the next theme because I am overly excited about what I have planned. So, on July 1st I will start making this batch of CDs like originally planned, but I will also announce the next theme.

I really need a life....

5 comments:

abz said...

yes but ur lack of life provides us with free new wonderful music! so its a win win situation we have going on right now! yeah!! oh, and the first name is gr8! gotta love random.

Smapdi said...

Yeah, sorry about the email, I left out an S. It should be correct now.

Smapdi said...

Your reason for why they suck? or are you just being the difficult best friend that you are so good at being? hehe :P

Lizzy Pratt said...

i liked the guiness one.

Smapdi said...

Oh man, if only there was such a thing as a great compilationist. I don't know how I would feel getting paid to compile music. I mean on the one hand it would be the easiest money ever.... on the other hand I would fell more like a hack than the recent winner of american Idol....

I hated guiness the first time I tried it, but for some reason initial hate never deters me when it comes to food and drink, so it has grown on me quite a bit since then.